header 1
header 2
header 3

In Memory

Marvin Porter

MARVIN MILTON PORTER, JR: November 5, 1944—September 23, 2022

Marvin Milton Porter, Jr., age 77, passed peacefully from this life into the glorious presence of his Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, on Friday, September 23, 2022, at home in San Antonio TX, surrounded by his beloved family.

He was born in Bryan TX. Marvin grew up in the typical 50’s playing football, hunting, fishing, calf roping, camping, and being with Porter cousins and friends. He graduated Stephen F. Austin High School. He attended Texas Tech University on a football scholarship and was a member of the Kappa Sigma fraternity. While at Texas Tech, he met the love of his life, Patti Ann Clouser. He graduated with a degree in agricultural economics. In 1969 he married Patti, and together they had three children, Leslie, Marvin III, and Steve. They lived in Bryan where he was an accomplished farmer and rancher.

He was very involved in Young Life through Texas A&M University and was one of the founding members of Westminster Presbyterian Church. The family moved to San Antonio in 1982, where he was able to focus on his love of the outdoors. He started a manufacturing company focusing on hunting, fishing, camping, and anything outdoors. Marvin was a devoted Christian and continued his service in their local church.

At the age of 70, Marvin was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (MS). He continued to reflect on God’s perfect plan, always striving to live a life that was pleasing to the Lord. Although he was a Red Raider, he was an Aggie at heart. It was fun to watch him when Texas Tech and Texas A&M played each other. Throughout his life his love for westerns and Aggie football was always at the top.

Marvin was preceded in death by his parents and son, Steven Marshall Porter. He is survived by his wife, Patti; his daughter, Leslie Christine Porter Oliver and husband Will, and Marvin Milton Porter, III, and wife Kam; his sisters, Lynn Porter Pitts and Dale Porter Miller and brother-in-law Marshall Clouser. He was a loving and fun “Papa” to his five grandchildren: Kassidy Porter, Marvin Porter IV, Kyndall Porter, Tripp Oliver, and Porter Oliver. His bright smile, sense of humor, storytelling, and laugh will be missed every day.

Two services will be held in his honor. In San Antonino, a celebration of life service will be on Thursday, September 29, 2022, at Wayside Chapel at 11:00 a.m. In Bryan, a graveside service will be held on Saturday, October 1, 2022, at the Bryan City Cemetery at 11:00 a.m. He will be laid to rest by his parents, Marvin and Louise, and son, Steven.

The family would like to thank Greg Hernandez for his devotion, friendship, and caring heart—not only to Marvin, but to the entire family.

In lieu of flowers, a donation may be made to One Way International, San Antonio Food Bank, or The Human Society.


go to bottom 
  Post Comment

10/03/22 08:11 PM #1    

Charlotte Cole (Wilson)

Well, I think all of us have some "Marvin" stories in our hearts. I don't think anyone could be around him less than 15 minutes before they would be hearing "something about something" being told by Marvin with that sheepish, halfway, croocked grin on his face.  I probably have more than most because Marvin and I were thrown into the kiddie class of the First Presbyterian Church at the ripe age of  three.  The other two illustrious members were Dave Mayfield and Billl Kutzschbach. (Keith, the other girl, didn't arrive until the 8th grade!)

Marvin was always full of joy, no matter what, so when any of us were having a "down day", we'd go see what Marvin was up to and get cheered up immediately.  That was a gifting that I don't think he ever realized he had.

There was probably only one time that I saw his countenance change out of our many encounters at Sunday School, Travis, Lamar and SFA.  It was Saturday.  We were juniors (I think) and he called to see if I wanted to ride up to Camp Creek for the afternoon wtih him and 2 other friends (I'm sorry, I can't think of who went with us.  If you recall this event, fess up, please!)  We were just driving around the dirt roads looking at the different cabins and Marvin suggested we go have a coke at their family cabin.  It was definitely "coke aka Dr. Pepper" time so we pullled down their cabin road.  Marvin went right to the hiding place of the key.  We marched in, turned on the AC, I got 4 Dr. Pepper's from the refrigerator and Marvin found some cookies in the cabinet.  The 4 of us were having a really fun time at the kitchen table. 

I needed to go to the restroom, so on my way back to the kitchen, I decided to open the closet door in the bedroom." Nelda Nosey" here wanted to see what Mrs. Porter's casual clothes looked like, as I only saw her in her Sunday best each week.  Well, they honestly didn't look like anything I thought she would ever put on.  Something didn't feel right.  As I passed by the chest of drawers, I picked up a slip of paper from the top which was a fishing license for John Smith.  I didn't know a Mr. John Smith so I asked Marvin who he was.  There were a few moments of silence and I saw the smile on his face disappear with slight fear.  With the "Porter Stare" he said, "Oh dear!  I think daddy sold this cabin last year!"  I hollered, "Everyone  get up quick.  Run to the car.  Don't waste any time.  Marvin, don't lock the door.  Hurry, Hurry!"  Well, we 4 literally jumped in on top of one another.  "Gun it Marvin, Gun it!".  And, so he did.  As we were driving down the main road, we met a car and guess what?  It turned in to the cabin drive way. We got out with only minutes to spare.

So, the trip home was rather bleek.  We all acknowledged that we had trespassed and probably should spend the night in the Franklin jail. Should we confess to the sheriff? But since we had escaped, what should we do?  Well, the rest of the way home, we each discussed how we were going to tell our parents.  I think I decided to tell mine both together at the dinner table that night.  Marvin said he thought he might wait and tell his daddy early in the am.  I'm guessing that my mother spoke at length with Mrs. Porter at church the next day.  Our parents didn't turn us in, but I hope Mr. Porter called Mr. Smith and explained the 4 cold Dr. Pepper bottles sitting on the kitchen table along with a bunch of cookie crumbs..

Another special memory was when we were in the 8th grade and Marvin and I and someone else (????) were all in the back seat. Our Sunday School teacher, Mr. McGuire (I think), was driving us around helping us deliver food baskets for the "shut in" folks around town.  After some silent moments, Mr. McGuire asked, "Marvin, if your house was on fire, what would you run in and grab?"  He said without even thinking, "Well, I'd pick up my  bible!"  Wow!  I thought that was really a good answer and obviously pleasing to God (in my 8th grade mentality), so the "mouth of the south here" blurts out, "I'd pick mine up, too!"  Gee, Mr. McGuire hadn't even asked me for my opinion.  BUT that was a moment in time that God used to teach me that HE will put the right words in my mouth.  In my later years when I have encuntered situations not knowing exactly what to say or how to respond, I have had the fleeting thought,, "What would Marvin say?" I have learned to pause and try to let the Holy Spirit guide me. Yes, God turned a "Marvin Porter Moment" into something very worthwhile for my life. Thank you, Marvin.

You see, Marvin was not only my friend, he was a brother.



10/04/22 05:36 AM #2    

Mike Burroughs

Charlotte, that story about Camp Creek was a riot. That's one of the funniest things I've ever heard (LOL), but I'm sure it was far from funny for you kids at the time. Sure glad you all didn't get caught and taken to the station!

Marvin and I first met in first grade at Travis; he and I were in Miss Boyd's homeroom. And then, of course, we were classmates all through high school, but we lost contact for many years. Fast forward to about 1996 or 1997.

Here in San Antonio, I was in Bible Study Fellowship, my group met every Monday night. One night as we all were leaving and picking up our lessons for next week, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a nametag:" Marvin Porter." Well, I had no idea that Marvin lived in San Antonio, so I said "Marvin?" He looked at me--surprised--and we shook hands. So for the next two or three years, each Monday night, we would sit together before the lecture and tell stories, jokes, etc.

I don't remember which year this was, but one night he said, in his slow, laid-back drawl, "I gave Patti a mailbox for her birthday." Somewhat quizzically, I asked, "Marvin, why did you give her a mailbox?" He laughed and said, "Because we needed one!" I still laugh about that even after all these years. You had to have known Marvin to fully appreciate the humor in that, and I can hear him still. God bless him!

10/05/22 04:46 PM #3    

Laura Jean Allen (Loving)

Yea, Travis Wildcats. We were a group! One of my first memories of Marvin is his habit of eating cradles. A funny sight in Miss Boyd's first grade class. We all grew up in the 50s and 60s. In Mr Adam's 6th grade class, Marvin was being tutored by a speech therapist to help him overcome a slight stammer/stutter in his speech. The therapist suggested he ask several "buddies" who would agree to help him by listing the words he was having a problem. Because my desk was in front of him, I became one one of those buddies. Marvin was self conscious and embarrassed so we made a pack to "not tell anyone about his "imperfection" consequently, I never knew who the other "buddies" were. Whoever you are, we played a small in Marvin's development into the man he became. I sincerely hope that Pattie and their children find a way to read the warm and fuzzy stories/feelings we are telling sharing. Laura Jean

10/05/22 04:53 PM #4    

Laura Jean Allen (Loving)

Just to clarify, Marvin had a taste for Crayolas--not cradles. Someday, I would like to meet "auto check" & "spell check".

10/10/22 03:52 PM #5    

Dick Barron

Ode to Marvin, My friend ...

Our path's crossed each other throughout the early years, from family gatherings, Travis Elementry to the Pirates Little League team.  I can still see him in that "Pirates" cap pulled over one eye.  Always going to "The Bottom" with cousin Jarvis, fishing, shooting, playing in the hay lofts, riding pigs, etc.. Then they'd leave me and go to a Summer Camp where their fun multiplied and mine continued to be Little League.  I never forgave them for that!

Then came Lamar and good old SFA. First .. graduating from bikes and into cars and/or pickups with, with (gulp!) girls! Strange days indeed!  But, knowig Marvin, he probably did not partake in any shenanigans with y'all, and I remember him telling me as much,  but I know he did partake in Pickups with gunracks in the back, and maybe with guns.  Unloaded, of course.  Try that today!   

Then out to Texas Tech.  Marvin was on football scholarship and some of us, David Hart maybe?, decided to "try out",  and first or second day there I busted my knee and dear Marvin was there to help me every day.  I was on crlutches and he'd be there to help me with my books, help me with the doors in and out of class, with sidewalks when it snowed, etc.  A genuine heart. 

I went home Christmas and had an knee operation (no scopes then .. just open it up and fare thee well)  When I got back, there was this one guy that didn't like me and started poking holes in my styrafoam beer cooler  .. he started picking a fight with me and my busted knee, and to make matters worse his brother was my roomie.  There were  four or five of them and one of me, so I figured I'd even things up and called over to Marvin's dorm, he responded by recruiting some friends, some muscle, there was a bang on the door that shocked one and all as in walked four defensive linemen ready to rumble.  To this day and I can still see the shock on Charlie and Merton's face when those guys walked thru the door.   They ran and threw back a $5 bill as they left to replace my cooler.  Never stopped thanking Marvin for that one.   

The thing that I would always thank him  for was teaching me how to eat. Properly.  Specifically cheeseburgers, and specifically at Mr. Peacock's Shipley Donut shop.  1) order a Shipley Special 'a la Marvin' .. two open face cheeseburgers with extra cheese.  2) 86 down side bun and serve the two top side buns open face.  3) a mound of pickles topped with a mound of onions.  4) Tomatoes optional <covered in #8>.   5) Frys, frys and more frys ...  no white visible thru the plate.  6) A side order of frys.)  7) at least two Dr. Peppers.   8) get a full squirt bottle of ketchup, red preferred.  9)  squirt the entire contents of red ketchp onto the Shipley Special and frys (heavy on the Special; lite on the fries).  And finally, the crem de la cream (sp?)  10) find a full pepper shaker .. shake the entire bottle  of pepper shaker onto the Shipley Special.  And that my friends, is "The Marvin"  Just ask for it by name and they'll know what you want.  If it's still open.

He would introduce himself as "Marvin Milton Holland Boswell etc., etc, etc, Jr.".   He'd go through about 8 or 10 family first names before he'd stop, and then keep a straight face to whomever he was talking to and he'd finish it up with "Jr.'" We had our backs turned, snickering.  I finally got to where I'd just call him "Hey .. Marvin Milton Etc."   I visited him a few years ago and he reminded me of his "real", unique full name, and he could still quote it.    

I'm sorry this is so long but the thoughts just kept coming out.  Mavrvin  was a unique, loyal, one of a kind, MAN.  And friend.  He went through so much to come out like he did in business, then get MS.  And  but I loved Him and shall miss him as I fight back the tears when I think about him.  The highlight for me at the 50th was seeing him.

And the best thing he did, ever in his life, was to find and marry Patti.  God bless and keep her and family with the peace of God that passeth all understanding.  For Marvin Milton Porter, Jr. there are no more nights, no more pain, no more tears, never crying again.  Praises to the great "I AM".  Marvin now lives in the light of the  Risen Lamb.  Hallajuah!


11/20/22 09:13 PM #6    

Dave Mayfield

I guess that we're all of the age when we might not be surprised to learn of the death of one of us.  I am just now finding out that Marvin has passed away, and I am filled w/memories of growing up in Bryan.  Marvin was, until we parted ways @ graduation when he went to Texas Tech and I went to Washington & Lee.  The only time I saw Marvin after that was at one of our reunions.  As Charlotte refers to in her post, Marvin and I went to First Presbyterian from Day One.  When we were in Junior High, I remember the many times that we would play hookey from church services, walk to his house, and smoke cigarettes.  After the Porters added Marvin's room over the garage, he cut a hole in the hardwood floors where he hid the cigarettes.  And then when we were in SFA, we'd go to Jarrott's for lunch and smoke on the way back to class, never suspecting that anyone could smell cigarette smoke on us.  I remember when he got a 1963 Impala and we'd drive around the bottom after class.  I think, by that time, we had added beer to our menu.  It's strange what we sometime remember clearly, and one of those times was on one of those rides in his new Impala, Marvin would lean back and shift gears w/his foot.  He was a good friend and, even though it's been almost 60 years since we were in school, I remember him and will miss him.

11/21/22 11:47 AM #7    

Dexter Morris

I last talked with Marvin about 2 years ago. We had a lot of laughs about him trying to teach me to cowboy (put me on the rankest horse they had and told it was Chiefs favorite, then watched me clear at least 10 ft before I hit the ground).Then two days later we were moving a tractor, parked it by the edge of a cliff above the Brozos, we went to lunch and came back and it was gone along with about 30ft of river bank. You know Marvin, "well I guess somebody stole the tractor". Dont know if he ever told his dad lol. We spent one year together as roomates over on 27 st in lubbock. He found us a roomate from California, who stayed about 6 wks then left, days later my dad called and said "who spent $300 calling Ca."; so we knew why he left. We had so much fun, lots of people always around (everybody liked Marvin) and some great memories. He is missed for sure, but in a much better place with our Lord.

go to top 
  Post Comment