header 1
header 2
header 3

In Memory

Gary Foster

October 10, 1944February 15, 1980

Gary William Foster, 35, passed away on February 15, 1980, at Wilford Hall Medical Center (WHMC), Lackland Air Force Base, San Antonio, after a lengthy illness and was buried in Restever Cemetery in Bryan. While he was stationed in Germany, his illness was diagnosed, and the Air Force transferred him to WHMC for treatment.

Gary was born on October 10, 1944, in Bossier City, Louisiana, to William H. “Bill” and Maysie Foster, and they moved to Texas when he was very young. He is survived by his parents; his wife, Kay Cox Foster; a daughter, Kristin; a son, Jason; and a brother, Dale Foster, of Bryan.
As a youth, Gary was an active member of First Baptist Church in College Station, and when they married, he and Kay became members of First Baptist Church in Bryan. After high school, he attended Texas A&M University, graduating in 1967 with a degree in accounting and a commission in the U.S. Air Force. After completing navigator training, he served tours of duty in Germany (twice), the Republic of Vietnam, the Pentagon, Idaho, and the United Kingdom.
Gary’s family and friends will always remember him as a man of honesty, loyalty, and integrity. Even during his illness, he was optimistic, maintained a great sense of humor, and served as a great inspiration to others suffering from serious illnesses as well. Gary always focused on the positive, never met a stranger, and always treated everyone with dignity, respect, and caring. Gary was a devoted husband and father and a man who loved the Lord. His faith in God, ever so strong, always shone through in all that he did, and it was his faith that carried him through the difficult times.


  Post Comment

06/10/11 08:07 AM #1    

Mike Burroughs

Gary Foster was a great friend--from junior high school all the way through college. We began college at A&M in the same squadron of the Corps of Cadets, and four years later, he and I were the only two beginning freshmen who were still in that squadron; Gary was the cadet commander our senior year. After we entered active duty in the Air Force and went our separate ways, we saw each other only a couple of times over the next 12 years or so, but we kept in touch at Christmas and other times.

Then one day in 1979, while I was stationed in San Antonio, Gary called me. He had been sent from England to the medical center at Lackland AFB--less than three miles from where Vicki and I lived--for treatment of a serious medical problem. Over the next few months, we were able to resume our friendship, and we met his lovely wife, Kay, who was able to stay in guest quarters whenever Gary went to the medical center for treatment.

I never saw Gary display anything but an upbeat attitude, always maintaining his sense of humor, dignity, and faith in God. He once told me confidently that he knew that he had been healed. At the time I didn't understand just what he meant, but later I came to understand more fully. He was talking about God's healing, which, like prayer, isn't always the answer or result we hope for.

The Air Force retired Gary for medical reasons, so he, Kay, and the children moved back to Bryan and bought a home. We visited with them there once or twice. And then the inevitable happened. One day, my mother called to tell us that Gary had passed away. We got in touch with Bob Dansby, who had visited with us recently, and he, Vicki, and I went to Bryan to attend Gary's funeral.

Today, I still think of Gary often and wonder why the life of such a fine person had to end so soon. Knowing that I speak for many, I say, "Gary, we miss you!"

  Post Comment